I remember a discussion between a vintage clothing dealer and mostly- museum-folks at a Costume Society meeting. The vintage dealer is looking for things in wearable condition, and anything else goes into the rag bag.

But you never know what you have in the attic. Her rags could be a rare example that could be conserved, preserved and displayed.

When someone has a large diamond, they know what they have and know the risks of cutting it. With textiles, not so much. They are so much easier to damage or destroy. It's worth a reminder to people that you are interested — especially if you know someone else will get to great-grandmother's attic first!

-Carol