On Thursday 04 December 2008 11:05:34 Victor Churchill wrote:
> I believe it is the case that a licence is required if you have a
> piece of equipment that is capable of receiving broadcast material.
> If you have a TV screen that you use for watching pre-recorded
> material but can demonstrate that it is does not have a functioning
> tuner for off-air reception then you are OK. I do not know if the onus
> is on *you* to show that your TV set *cannot* pick up live broadcasts
> or on *"them"* to show that it *can* - i.e. whether you are innocent
> until proven guilty or vice versa.

I haven't checked recently, but this certainly used not to be the case.  I
checked it out quite thoroughly when my son was still at school.  He was at
boarding school and I never watched TV.  So the TV set was only used to watch
TV in the school holidays.  I would have been entitled to a refund for the
period of the licence which covered school terms.  But it wasn't in fact
worth my while financially (because of the way in which they calculated
refunds), so I never claimed it.

Lisi