Lisi wrote:
> I would have been entitled to a refund for the
> period of the licence which covered school terms.
At least you can get refunds now.  When I went to work in the US for a
year in 1987 I couldn't get a refund on my TV license (couldn't even
cancel it), so I just let it lapse a couple of months later.  When I
returned I rented a new TV and took out a new license.  They then wrote
to tell me they were starting the new license from when the old one ran
out.  I wrote and explained what had happened, and they immediately
re-instated the new license start date.  Sometimes they *do* listen!

Simon