On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:39:09 +0000
Chris Dennis <cgden...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> I know this was discussed last year, but a non-TV-owning client has
> just asked me whether he needs a BBC licence to use iPlayer, and I
> was surprised to find this page at
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/channels/television/iplayer.shtml which
> implies that he does.  It says "The TV programmes are free for UK
> licence fee payers, at high quality and with no advertising."

You need a TV License to watch TV programmes as they're being broadcast
over the air - this means that you DON'T need one to watch iPlayer, but
you DO need one to watch the "Live Streaming" bit of iPlayer (because
it's simulcast). Same with any other method of simulcasting.

IANAL/etc. and the TV License fee people don't tend to listen to reason
(or the law, or their own guidelines, etc.) so if he's at all worried,
I'd just stump up the fee.

Cheers,

Jon

(The views in this email are my own, and do not constitute legal
advice. My employer had nothing to do with the content of this email,
and their views may differ from those expressed in this mail.
Although, in reality they probably don't have any views on this
particular subject - just don't complain to them if you don't agree
with me, OK? :)
--
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCDS, RHCX, RHCA  email: jfaut...@redhat.com
Senior Consultant                    cell :     +44 7841 558683