> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:31:39 +0000
> Jacqui Caren <jacqui.ca...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I am one of the hold-outs. Our TV died over a year ago and we decided
>> not to renew the licence. TV licencing send automated nastygrams
>> threating imminent court action but some nice web sites break these
>> letters down and explain your rights. We had the "Investigation
>> officer" around with his 'almost police' uniform :-) but I think two
>> snarling GSDs behind a child gate put paid to any the idea of forcing
>> entry.
>
> Same here - I don't have a TV since I moved house about 18 months ago.
> I have no intention of getting a TV, either.
>
> I regularly get threatening letters from the TV Licensing people, which
> get immediately binned :)
>
> I'm yet to have a visit from the "enforcement division" - which is a
> shame because I know exactly what I'm going to say to them if they ever
> turn up ;)

As I posted before, but I will post again just to add some balance. My
previous experience is that if you open the and read the letters, contact
the TV licensing people and explain that you either

a) don't have a TV or
b) have a TV but don't watch live TV (e.g. only watch DVD's or Videos and
it isn't connected to a TV aerial)

Then they accept it and leave you alone. No more wasted trees on
threatening letters and no investigation officers coming to your door.

Before we were married my wife had a TV video combo but didn't have an
aerial and just watched Videos from the Library / Purchases. She contacted
the TV licensing people and told them, no more letters or contact. Simple
as that.