On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:11:23 +0000
Clive Woodfine <clivewoodf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it is deb based but it has it's own package unique manager
> with limited software.  You can try it by booting it off a memory
> stick/card first to see how you like or hate it.

Nobody has mentioned that Debian support the Asus Eeepc with a
customised version, see this page.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC

I replaced the 'newbie friendly' linux that came on my Asus 900 with
DebianEeePC within ten minutes of getting it home. It has the
default gnome interface and I'd not change it for any other distro.

Like someone else said I too got it to carry around to pick up wifi
connections in pubs and the like, the wifi just worked 'outta da box'.

I also use as a portable geneweb server for when I go to genealogical
meetings instead of the much heavier Sony Vario I used to use.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid