On 07/11/10 08:43, john lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:11:23 +0000
> Clive Woodfine <clivewoodf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it is deb based but it has it's own package unique manager
>> with limited software.  You can try it by booting it off a memory
>> stick/card first to see how you like or hate it.
> Nobody has mentioned that Debian support the Asus Eeepc with a
> customised version, see this page.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC
>
> I replaced the 'newbie friendly' linux that came on my Asus 900 with
> DebianEeePC within ten minutes of getting it home. It has the
> default gnome interface and I'd not change it for any other distro.
>
> Like someone else said I too got it to carry around to pick up wifi
> connections in pubs and the like, the wifi just worked 'outta da box'.
>
> I also use as a portable geneweb server for when I go to genealogical
> meetings instead of the much heavier Sony Vario I used to use.

Given that we have established the machine in question is an old
Thinkpad John I guess this suggestion is more appropriate in the wider
context of the discussion, as most EeePC-centric builds seem to be
tailored more-or-less to the subset of hardware Asus use.

However, it is certainly true that a Debian minimal install on the
Thinkpad would provide a nice, lean 'full distro' solution to the
problem posed, allowing Martin to build only what he needs on top of the
bare essentials.

In fact, I've toyed with the idea of reverting to it (Debian) myself,
having moved away from the fold (admittedly not very far) with the first
announcement of Ubuntu.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk