On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 11:37:42 +0100 (BST)
"Vic" <l...@beer.org.uk> wrote:

> > I haven't quite got a desk-top with no icons in Gnome 2. I cannot
> > see any way in System Preferences to remove the 'Computer' 'User's
> > Home' and 'Wastebasket' icons.
>
> Fedora supplies the gTweakUI tools which do that (and other things).
> I've no idea if these are available in your distribution.

Thanks Vic

gtweakui is in Debian and has applets to do four thing, one
of which seems to allow removal of icons from desk top,
gtweakui-nautilus.desktop

It first asks to use nautilus to manage the desktop, once that is
done done you get options to put certain icons on the desktop. I left
them un-selected but the icons aren't removed when I close the applet.

Probably I'll need to refresh the desktop which could then mean Gnome 3
gets started, which I don't want at this stage, but at least I now
have a choice.

The Debian Packages page for gtweakgui says it provides:-

"extra configuration settings for GNOME that 'power users' have been
requesting since the release of GNOME 2.0."

Pity it isn't installed by default!

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid