Excellent! Symphony No. 1024 "The Floppy"! :-)
--
Regards,
Jan Henkins

James Bensley <jwbens...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 23 October 2011 13:21, Victor Churchill <victorchurch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Absolutely none of my business but the request sparked a bit of
> curiosity in me as to what one might want a few floppy disk drive for.
> I wondered if it might be a project like this ;-)
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/news/floppy-drives-play-the-imperial-march-video/6806/

You got me Victor! Chris had also guessed this when I went to collect
the drives from him; I didn't realise it was that obvious!

Although, thanks to Chris' generous donation, as I only had one drive
to hand, I was able to work out how to have multiple drives running
from the same single threaded controller (in my case my Arduino
Duemilanove, ATmega328).

Now the plan is to have around 8-10 drives so I can have a group of
them all playing different parts of the same song, i.e.that bass, the
melody, the chords etc. This does throw a spanner in the works though
as I think I can only run 6 or 7 drives on my Arduino. I don't really
want to spend £35+ on another Duemilanove for the last one or two
drives (although I suppose I could get a really basic one). More
importantly than that though would be ensuring the separate Arduino's
are perfectly in sync with each other!

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)