Hi,

On Sun, Oct 23 at 07:06, James Bensley wrote:
> Although, thanks to Chris' generous donation, as I only had one drive
> to hand, I was able to work out how to have multiple drives running
> from the same single threaded controller (in my case my Arduino
> Duemilanove, ATmega328).

You can multi-thread on the ATmeg328 if you're prepared to move away
from the restrictive IDE and "wiring".  Google FreeRTOS and BertOS.

> Now the plan is to have around 8-10 drives so I can have a group of
> them all playing different parts of the same song, i.e.that bass, the
> melody, the chords etc. This does throw a spanner in the works though
> as I think I can only run 6 or 7 drives on my Arduino. I don't really
> want to spend ?35+ on another Duemilanove for the last one or two

Or maybe time to step up a notch, and down in price at #17.50 + VAT/pp[1].

32bit 72MHz ARM Cortex processor 128K Flash, 20K RAM on an Arduino footprint
board.  LeafLabs even provide an Arduino like IDE thats more or less source
code compatable.  Olimex then built it cheaper with more features.  However
you look at it, a lot of bang for your buck.

Again you can multi-thread on these boards with ports already available for
FreeRTOS and ChibiOS.

[1] http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=808

--
        Bob Dunlop