I've had a lot of luck with TestDisk[1] in the past (mostly for recovering
images from flash memory cards where the user has accidentally done delete all
instead of delete!), but it doesn't claim to support recovering files from HFS+
filesystems. Personally, I'd give it a go anyway and see what it's like.
There's many other file recovery tools out there but I can't vouch for them
personally.

You can install hfsutils and mount hfs+ disks under Linux quite easily. You'll
need something along the lines of the following to mount it:

    mount -o loop -t hfs image.dd /mnt/

It might be 'hfsplus' that you need.

Cheers,

Benjie.