On 25 October 2011 15:57, john lewis <johnle...@hantslug.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:17:34 +0100
> James Courtier-Dutton <james.dut...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It is times like this that I wish this was IBM OS/2. I think it was
>> called HPFS.  (High Performance File System)
>
> OS/2 was excellent, easily customisable by 3rd parties and only let down
> by IBM not developing it beyond Warp 4. If IBM had continued to support
> it and got more support from application developers (who chose instead
> to go the MS route) it could now be a serious rival for MS and Apple
> (IMHO of course)
>
> But the fact IBM stopped supporting Home & Small Business Users caused
> me to investigate Linux so mustn't complain too much ;-)

Well, if we are being nostalgic, the NextStep boxes were excellent.
If Next had only separated the software from the hardware so that you
could install NextStep OS on any desktop PC, that would have been a
great platform.
Unfortunately, you could not use the NextStep OS unless you also
purchased the NextStep hardware.
I particularly liked its document editing tools and sound manipulation
technologies.
Two people could be editing the same document and if the edits
happened to be on the same page, each user would see the others
changes as they typed.
It has a nice sound tool that could model the human vocal cords and
learn. So, you could speak to it, and it would then calculate the
dimensions etc. of your vocal cords and it could then speak and sound
almost exactly like you.