On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 22:12 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> The problem is I am not interested in the mounting of the device.
> What the user has done is this:
> 1) Had a working system with all their pictures on it.
> 2) Put in the Mac OS X setup disk.
> 3) setup disk formats the system. equivalent of mkfs
> 4) setup disk installs OS files.

I'm curious how this happened. Obviously the poor guy made a mistake,
but even then this seems an extraordinary sequence to happen without
some alarms going off. People tell me how user-friendly Apple is, but
that kind of consequence from a mistake seems crazy.

I did once, in the days when root's home directory was '/', do
        rm -rf ~
instead of
        rm -rf .
and wondered why it was taking so long.