Well, it's been a LONG time since I built a new computer, but if this helps
then it's all to the good. If I'm wrong, would someone else with more (or more
recent) hardware-fiddling experience please correct this...

> * Mobo power
That should still be there, I think we're on 24 pins now. Large translucent
white (or possibly opaque black) connector with many coloured wires.

> * Fan power (which connects to mobo)
The motherboard should not need extra power for fans. However, the following
might apply:

4-pin 2xYellow and 2xBlack? that's an extra CPU power plug introduced in the
P4 era. Are these still in use?

Flat 4-pin plug with red/yellow/black? Floppy drive. Generally a bad idea to
plug it into anything else. Media card readers and LCD displays often use
them.

3-pin header with wires soldered and heatshrunk. This is a fan header, but
make sure you tape it up if you're not using it, as it's the easiest way to
short out the power supply.

> In this latest board, I have 1 mobo power, seemingly 2 fan connections and
> no "standard" power plugs, they all seem to be the new SATA variety.

The old Molex 4-pin plugs are dying out, which is good news for anyone who,
like me, struggles to get them to connect because of manufacturing tolerances.
Once they are connected, don't even think about taking them apart!

> Luckily enough, the hdd and dvd I have are both sata, but there seem some
> other connectors too (I haven't the technology to take a photo at the
> moment) so could someone tell me what they're likely to be - they look like
> terminal blocks to me!!

Remaining connectors, as already suggested are probably graphics card or PCI-E
bus power (often black with 6 or 8 pins). The reason for this is that with the
capability of modern PCI-E cards, sometimes you just can't drag enough power
out of the motherboard (small PCB traces, which were never designed to supply
more than a few milliamps), so a direct power connector allows you the power
you need.

Hope this helps,

Tim B.
--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
openDynamics - Open-source Vessel Motions Calculation