On 11/10/2011 06:41 PM, Rob Malpass wrote:

Hi all

My "mean machine" arrived today (Intel i7 2600, 8Gb DDR3) barebones and I need to build it. The thing is, I'm seeing a huge bundle of unfamiliar connectors - can anyone help?

My main concern is keyboard and mouse - there's only one ps2 on the back of the mobo. I can think of 2 solutions:

1) Buy a ps2 female to usb male and use my ps2 mouse with that. [In fact it'll be connected to my kvm] The only thing I'm worried about here is whether the mouse will be correctly detected.

2) As I'm chucking out the Mac mini I bought 5 years ago and basically never used, it so happens that I have an existing 2 ps2 female to 1 usb male adapter. Is this any better than 1) above.

<snip>
Cheers

Rob

On the easier subject of USB / PS2 connectors, my experience has been that
ps2 to USB adaptors work for meece and not for keyboards.  This is limited
to a few systems and a few keyboards, so it may not be universal. I am
currently using a 2 x ps2 to USB adaptor such as you describe but only
the mouse is connected through it.

I sometimes see a delay of several seconds in the mouse becoming
usable after KVM switchover, so the arrangement isn't ideal.

MikeD