>  For my own education please, I need someone to explain a potentially far
> reaching decision made by our IT people at work....

This will be a budgetary thing. Somebody expecting a magic wand to save
lots of IT support money; server software licensing presumed cheaper than
individual desktop licences. 'Instant' fault-fnding; if a machine breaks
(desktop or server) you just blitz it back to a stock image and start over.
Because nobody keeps data except in the designated network drive. Of
course. And everyone has a standard set-up across the enterprise. Naturally.

Been there. Bought the t-shirt.

At least you've got Win7 PC's and not Wyse thin clients...

--
Rgds
RC

Robin Catling