On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 15:37 +0100, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> On 28 September 2012 10:42, Gordon Scott <gor...@gscott.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> does
> > what I ask with question, tantrums or flourishes.

That should, of course, have read 'without' as you realised.

> Me too - for me the only worthwhile eye-candy is window shadows and
> transparency during window drags, That's why I use xubuntu.
> Hierarchical menus, custom drop-down entries on the panel for your own
> 'categories' and of course ALT-F2 works too!

Personally I'm not that keen on transparency even when dragging, though
occasionally it's useful, so I'd likely not stop that.

I guess quite a few people probably do like the eye candy, at least as
an attention grabber if not in everyday use.

I can't help feeling, though, that Unity is intended more to be a
marketing hook than something for users to work with.

Maybe I'll mellow on that as I use Unity more, though it's not going so
well at the moment  ...  I've set up the focus-follows-mouse and stopped
auto-lift, so the windows work as I'd like, but I very quickly found a
problem where Alt-F was opening the menu for the wrong window. It didn't
seem to matter what I did .. move mouse between windows, click on the
window in question, right-click, escape, it simply would not open the
correct menu.  I spent two or three minutes messing about before it
eventually opened the correct menu.  I _think_ I moved the mouse to the
top bar directly, without passing over the desktop or any other windows,
clicked and selected on the menus and it was back to normal. Of course I
had to return to the window to check it, so who knows what else might
have happen in the meantime.

I guess as with John's comment, in this case it's "Unity in it's initial
form" and it may still be a bit previous.

I am _really_ glad I'm doing this learning process on my new home
machine and not yet on the ones on which I earn my living!

Can anyone say if 'upgrading' from 10.04 to 12.04 would result in a
default switch to Unity?  If it does, is it reasonably easy to get back
to the previous desktop?

Gordon.