Hi,

Every now and then I think I may get a DVB tuner for my computer. Now that
Hannington has been upgraded to HD I could even watch/record stuff in HD (in
theory) on my computer - our TV is still ye olde CRT.

The Hauppauge PCTV Systems DVB-T2 290e nanoStick HD is apparently supported in
Linux on 3.0 Kernel and above. It's also not so expensive on Amazon and other
online retailers.

Questions:

1) Do these kind of devices actually work? is the signal strength in Hampshire
strong enough to get a decent picture without a proper external aerial? We can
see the Hannington transmitter clearly from our house and our set-top DVB
tuner has always claimed excellent signal strength.

2) Other than the kernel module, what other software is required? I see that
both VLC and Kaffeine offer up digital TV as a video source.

3) What kind of CPU/GPU is required to render HD video? My desktop PC is a
first generation AMD64 and the graphics card is a last generation basic AGP
graphics card, so neither are whizzy by modern standard. They can playback MP4
files downloaded from the BBC fine but I wouldn't describe the playback as
perfect.

4) I'm in no way attached the USB device I suggested and would welcome
comments about it and of alternatives.

As ever, thanks in advance.

--
Adam Trickett