On Fri, Nov 9, 2012, at 08:52 PM, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:

> The Hauppauge PCTV Systems DVB-T2 290e nanoStick HD is apparently supported
> in Linux on 3.0 Kernel and above. It's also not so expensive on Amazon and
> other online retailers.

> Questions:

> 1) Do these kind of devices actually work? is the signal strength in
> Hampshire strong enough to get a decent picture without a proper external
> aerial? We can see the Hannington transmitter clearly from our house and our
> set-top DVB tuner has always claimed excellent signal strength.

I purchased the cheapest no brand one I could find on Ebay. It is a
compact matt black device with DVB-T emblazoned on it and no other
distinguishing features. I was pleased to find bar locating a firmware
file for it (by Googling the output of lsusb), it just works. This one
is apparently built around the Afatech af9005 chipset which I understand
is somewhat long in the tooth now, but I would expect more modern
devices to work with similarly little fuss. The stub aerial it came with
it not really sufficient for receiving indoors. I am about 14 miles from
Rowridge and I can get only two multiplexes reliably and two more with a
bit of careful adjustment of the aerial. A small yagi style aerial (£5
from ASDA I think) works just fine though.

> 2) Other than the kernel module, what other software is required? I see that
> both VLC and Kaffeine offer up digital TV as a video source.

I use VLC as it's simple. It's a little fussy with a weak signal,
occasionally hanging but it's not bothered me enough to try anything
else. You need the dvb-apps package to do the initial channel scan and
create a file for VLC to load.

> 3) What kind of CPU/GPU is required to render HD video? My desktop PC is a
> first generation AMD64 and the graphics card is a last generation basic AGP
> graphics card, so neither are whizzy by modern standard. They can playback
> MP4 files downloaded from the BBC fine but I wouldn't describe the playback
> as perfect.

I don't know, but I would guess if VLC renders an MPEG2 file ok (for
example a DVD), it will cope with standard definition DVB too.