On 2013-02-10 09:14, Chris Dennis wrote:
On 09/02/13 14:00, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
On 8 February 2013 21:50, Imran Chaudhry <ichaud...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm thinking of buying an SSD for my Dell Inspiron 6400 when Debian
Wheezy becomes stable and to benefit from fast bootup.

The laptop is 2006 vintage and has a "spinning rust" SATA drive. Can I
just use any SSD SATA laptop drive as a drop-in replacement or do I
have to be careful about particular types eg SATA II/III, BIOS
incompatibilities etc?

I have that exact same laptop. I put a 7mm SSD in it, and it made an
amazing difference to the speed of the laptop.
The only thing you really need to care about with HDD to SSD
replacement is the height of the HDD, is it 9.5 or 7mm high.
The 6400 can fit both 7mm and 9.5mm SSD.
I would advise that you purchase a 7mm SSD because then it is more
lilely to fit into a new laptop when you eventually need it.
I put a Crucial M4 7mm in mine.

Blocks of storage in SSD drives can only be written a certain number
of times.  Is that something to worry about, or does the
firmware/software mitigate that problem these days?

In other words, do SSD drives last just as long as spinning disk
drives under normal use (for some value of 'normal')?

The last article I read regarding life of SSD indicated that an SSD was more likely to outlive rotating media by a significant factor. Sorry I can't lay my hands to the link. More later if I re-discover it.

MY 4 year old 901, all SSD, is still going strong though the keyboard and mouse is getting a bit iffy.