After further investigation, if the TV was set to the "TV input" when the
laptop was switched on then pre-X output would show up, but as soon as X
started the output was lost. However after a few restarts and shutdowns even
this doesn't work. So I haven't been able to capture the output of xrandr. (As
an aside is there a way to permanently log all console input/output for use in
these situations?)

What's particularly surprising is that I can't find anything in any logs to
help debug this. Coupled with the fact that no config has changed on the laptop
since it initially worked I feel like I'm back on windows - there's a problem
but insufficient info is available for me to try and fix it!

Leo