On Oct 27, 2013 12:56 AM, "Leo" <li...@fractal.me.uk> wrote:

> I attached my laptop to the TV earlier and it all worked fine with the TV
being correctly recognised and showing the same as the monitor. However
subsequent attempts have my laptop picking the TV as being much bigger than
it is (72" rather than 23") and the TV failing to display anything. Much
finding and greping has so far revealed no changes in /etc and nothing
useful in /var/log, or under udev directories. Can anyone offer any
pointers on where I might find how it is picking up the monitor to see what
might have changed?

The most useful log file is /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
This sounds like a monitor detection problem. Which type of cable are you
using to the monitors?
Look in the logs for EDID.
Probably just post the whole Xorg.0.log here if it fits and someone will be
able to help.
The work around for EDID problems can be tricky to get working.
James