On 17/07/14 13:16, Damian L Brasher wrote:
On Thu, 2014-07-17 at 09:07 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
Hi,

I have a friend who is in the Police and they explained to me what DRIP/RIPA is.
1) There are no "triggers".
2) Police make a request to the phone company with a search key of say
"phone number". They can then get a report of all the calls that user
has made within a small time period. They can also obtain details of
where the phone was used during that time period. There are various
other request types they can make, all listed in the RIPA documents.
Also only a select few police people are allowed to make such
requests. These are ones with the rank "superintendent". Normally
these requests also need to be supported by court authorizations.
3) DRIP is much the same as RIPA, and RIPA has been around since at
least the year 2000.
4) The requests are definitely aimed at being of use to police
investigating a crime. For example, they can search by a fraudulent
bank account number. If that bank account number paid a phone bill,
they can then obtain the phone number of that phone, and then request
the location of that phone.

If you are particularly interested in what they can ask for, google
for RDHI (Retained Data Handover Interface) , it is an ETSI standard
and lists all the request types used by RIPA.

Thank you for sharing James. Without question, the police need some
data. Clearly, DRIP is not fully understood from multiple perspectives.
Echoing the House of Lords concerns yesterday, there has not been enough
time for discussion.

In my opinion, discussion is essential. Critically, international
communities will take DRIP headlines at face value (or dig deeper) and
won't feel as confident working with the UK. One of the worst headlines,
is the speed at which the legislation is being pushed through
parliament.

Many long-term effects are, or seem to be, left in lap of the gods.

Best regards
Damian

+1

--