On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:07:49 +0100
James Courtier-Dutton <james.dut...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello James,

>4) The requests are definitely aimed at being of use to police
>investigating a crime. For example, they can search by a fraudulent

And therein lies a problem.  "Aimed at", on the face of it, doesn't
preclude the law being used in ways, and for things, it wasn't intended
to be used.

Some here will be too young to know about this example, or simply not
remember;
In the 1970s, there were what were popularly called the "Sus Laws" (sus
is short for suspicion).  They granted the police the power to stop and
search anyone they suspected of having committed a crime.  In actuality,
they were used mostly to stop and search black people.  Cue race riots.

In short;  if it suits their purpose, the powers that be will use the
letter of the law to subvert the intent of the law.   :-(

--
 Regards  _
We don't need no-one to tell us what's right or wrong