On 17 Jul 2014, at 18:35, Brad Rogers <b...@fineby.me.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:07:49 +0100
> James Courtier-Dutton <james.dut...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello James,
>
>> 4) The requests are definitely aimed at being of use to police
>> investigating a crime. For example, they can search by a fraudulent
>
> And therein lies a problem.  "Aimed at", on the face of it, doesn't
> preclude the law being used in ways, and for things, it wasn't intended
> to be used.
>
> Some here will be too young to know about this example, or simply not
> remember;
> In the 1970s, there were what were popularly called the "Sus Laws" (sus
> is short for suspicion).  They granted the police the power to stop and
> search anyone they suspected of having committed a crime.  In actuality,
> they were used mostly to stop and search black people.  Cue race riots.
>
> In short;  if it suits their purpose, the powers that be will use the
> letter of the law to subvert the intent of the law.   :-(

but more often than not these laws save lives*, and those guilty of subverting
freedom are compromised in some minor way.

*I expect these law also allow for the triangulation of a person for search and
rescue.  and other good causes.

and in respect of breaches of trust.. we have a long heritage of good political
oversight to intercept abuses of power.