Hi Pavlos!

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:01:37AM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> On 10/21/18 9:05 PM, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > HAProxy 1.9-dev4 was released on 2018/10/21. It added 97 new commits
> > after version 1.9-dev3.
> >
> > There's not much user-visible here, it's mostly another merge of some
> > pending infrastructure changes. The most sensitive changes consist in
> > the finalization of the connection reorientation from top to bottom,
> > so that we don't need the conn_want_* tricks from the upper layers nor
> > the update_poll() calls anymore. Everything is attempted directly and
> > a subscription to the lower layer is made in case of failure. The perf
> > is slightly better than with dev3, but more importantly the code becomes
> > much cleaner and straightforward. An optimization was made in the
> > scheduler regarding the wait queues, most of which are lockfree now.
> > Another one concerns the FD lock which is taken less often as well.
> > All in all the overall multi-thread performance has increased quite
> > a bit. I measured a gain of 60% over 1.8 using only H2 on 4 threads.
> >

> Nice, very nice. HAProxy version 1.9 would be very exciting release.

Yes, we all hope so, but we also expect that it may still have rough edges,
being a technical version.

> Any ideas if we get see gRPC support on both ends(client/server side) in 1.9
> version ?

While we won't be doing anything specific for gRPC, my previous reading of
the spec taught me that if we simply support H2 end to end it *should* work.
And at the moment, even if I don't want to promise then have to retract, it
looks like we should be able to have at least experimental support for
end-to-end H2 via the new internal HTTP representation. The amount of work
to convert all HTTP-aware functions to the new representation is so huge
that it's almost impossible to do everything in this first version, so if
all goes well, we'll have support for the basic HTTP stuff and probably not
all rulesets, filters, compression, Lua nor anything fancy at the release
date, hence the "experimental" status. But putting that aside, for most
setups it should still be quite sufficient, making it worth being released
anyway.

Cheers,