Hi Pavlos,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 09:42:26AM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> > While we won't be doing anything specific for gRPC, my previous reading of
> > the spec taught me that if we simply support H2 end to end it *should* work.
>
> So, haproxy wont be able to understand services and calls of those services
> and take
> load balancing decisions in the same way we do with HTTP1 where we can take
> decisions
> base on verbs(HTTP Methods) and nouns(URL, cookie and etc).

I'm not sure what you mean because the basic stuff (http actions, fetching
samples, ACLs etc) will be OK. What will definitely not be ready will be to
have a TCP frontend connecting to an HTTP backend, "tcp-request content"
rules processing HTTP elements, Lua, etc.

> I have to mention that I know very little about gRPC/brotobuf and I have
> looked what
> other products offer when they claim that they support gRPC and I didn't find
> any
> other software loadbalancer that is able to route traffic based on the
> verbs/nouns.

If this is the only thing they need, that sounds fairly basic. What we
will not have will be support for PUSH but this is not required for gRPC
(I initially thought it was because some people speak about bidirectionnal
HTTP/2 when they want to mean in fact HTTP/2 on both sides). That's why
I'm really saying that it's possible that in the end you'll have everything
you need.

> It could be that my expectation is unrealistic and lb software doesn't need to
> take any decisions based on those verbs/nouns.

I don't know what is needed, but I definitely expect that at least this
should work :-)

Cheers,