Hi.

Am 23.10.2018 um 09:49 schrieb Willy Tarreau:
> Hi Pavlos,
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 09:42:26AM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
>>> While we won't be doing anything specific for gRPC, my previous reading of
>>> the spec taught me that if we simply support H2 end to end it *should* work.
>>
>> So, haproxy wont be able to understand services and calls of those services
>> and take
>> load balancing decisions in the same way we do with HTTP1 where we can take
>> decisions
>> base on verbs(HTTP Methods) and nouns(URL, cookie and etc).
>
> I'm not sure what you mean because the basic stuff (http actions, fetching
> samples, ACLs etc) will be OK. What will definitely not be ready will be to
> have a TCP frontend connecting to an HTTP backend, "tcp-request content"
> rules processing HTTP elements, Lua, etc.

Will be h2c possible, as some gRPC server starts with HTTP not HTTPS?

>> I have to mention that I know very little about gRPC/brotobuf and I have
>> looked what
>> other products offer when they claim that they support gRPC and I didn't
>> find any
>> other software loadbalancer that is able to route traffic based on the
>> verbs/nouns.
>
> If this is the only thing they need, that sounds fairly basic. What we
> will not have will be support for PUSH but this is not required for gRPC
> (I initially thought it was because some people speak about bidirectionnal
> HTTP/2 when they want to mean in fact HTTP/2 on both sides). That's why
> I'm really saying that it's possible that in the end you'll have everything
> you need.
>
>> It could be that my expectation is unrealistic and lb software doesn't need
>> take any decisions based on those verbs/nouns.
>
> I don't know what is needed, but I definitely expect that at least this
> should work :-)

I think also but what I have seen out there is hat 'Te: trailers' could be a
challenge, as this blog entry describes.

https://nghttp2.org/blog/2015/03/24/proxying-grpc-with-nghttpx/

I'm not sure if haproxy can handle this.

> Cheers,
> Willy

Best regards
Aleks