On 10/22/18 11:15 AM, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi Pavlos!
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:01:37AM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
>> On 10/21/18 9:05 PM, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> HAProxy 1.9-dev4 was released on 2018/10/21. It added 97 new commits
>>> after version 1.9-dev3.
>>>
>>> There's not much user-visible here, it's mostly another merge of some
>>> pending infrastructure changes. The most sensitive changes consist in
>>> the finalization of the connection reorientation from top to bottom,
>>> so that we don't need the conn_want_* tricks from the upper layers nor
>>> the update_poll() calls anymore. Everything is attempted directly and
>>> a subscription to the lower layer is made in case of failure. The perf
>>> is slightly better than with dev3, but more importantly the code becomes
>>> much cleaner and straightforward. An optimization was made in the
>>> scheduler regarding the wait queues, most of which are lockfree now.
>>> Another one concerns the FD lock which is taken less often as well.
>>> All in all the overall multi-thread performance has increased quite
>>> a bit. I measured a gain of 60% over 1.8 using only H2 on 4 threads.
>>>

>> Nice, very nice. HAProxy version 1.9 would be very exciting release.
>
> Yes, we all hope so, but we also expect that it may still have rough edges,
> being a technical version.
>
>> Any ideas if we get see gRPC support on both ends(client/server side) in 1.9
>> version ?
>
> While we won't be doing anything specific for gRPC, my previous reading of
> the spec taught me that if we simply support H2 end to end it *should* work.

So, haproxy wont be able to understand services and calls of those services and
take
load balancing decisions in the same way we do with HTTP1 where we can take
decisions
base on verbs(HTTP Methods) and nouns(URL, cookie and etc).

I have to mention that I know very little about gRPC/brotobuf and I have looked
what
other products offer when they claim that they support gRPC and I didn't find
any
other software loadbalancer that is able to route traffic based on the
verbs/nouns.
It could be that my expectation is unrealistic and lb software doesn't need to
take any decisions based on those verbs/nouns.

Cheers,
Pavlos