Hello,

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 4:58 PM Schimweg, Luca <luca.schim...@sap.com> wrote:

> Hey again,
>
> I tried to use rand, but when using it, my generation code for a UUID looks
> like this:
>
> unique-id-format
> %[rand,hex,bytes(8,8),lower]-%[rand(65536),hex,bytes(12,4),lower]-4%[rand(4096),hex,bytes(13,3),lower]-%[rand(16384),add(32768),hex,bytes(12,4),lower]-%[rand(65536),hex,bytes(12,4),lower]%[rand,hex,bytes(8,8),lower]
>
> To be honest I think for a simple UUID, we should not be required to but such
> a complicated and long line into the config. Also, I think that the
> performance impact of such a line is much bigger than the generation of a
> UUID in plain C code. We could just create a ACL generator called uuid or
> something similar which would do the job. The config would get much clearer.
>
> Any opinions to this? I would be willing to implement such a feature if the
> maintainers would be ready to merge it in general.

Are you proposing to implement a RFC4122 compliant UUID?
Which UUID version?
Which dependencies would it require?

I guess something RFC4122 compliant based on openssl for example would
work. Adding chunks of fragile code nobody is gonna maintain or adding
additional dependencies like libuuid - probably not.

I suggest we wait for Willy's feedback, but I want to stress that this
may not be as simple as 5 lines of standalone C code ... we certainly
don't want to act like we are generating standard compliant RFC4122
UUIDs when that is not really the case.

Lukas