On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Antonio Maniero <mani...@klip.net> wrote:

> Some rules I've learned:
> []'s Maniero

Excuse my jump in and feel free to ignore everything.

For me WP should be only a place where to say that Harbour exist and
what it is while the "details and comparisons" should be elsewhere.

I understand that expression like "fast", "modern" or "unlike Java"
need to be proved and that a sentence like "Most softwares originally
writen to run on Xbase++, Flagship, FoxPro, xHarbour and others
dialects can be compiled with Harbor with some adaptation." can be
"critical". I've used FoxPro in the past and I can say that "some
adaption" is not the term I'd use for a conversion :)

Instead you could summarize the introduction leaving only the facts like:
Harbour is an open source computer programming language. The compiler,
the runtime and the support libraries are written in Ansi C and
Harbour itself so they can be built on every operating system that has
a compatible C compiler. Harbour is known to work under Microsoft
Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, BSD,  Windows CE, OS/2 Ecomstation,
Haiku/BeOS.

The open source Harbour license[1]  is similar to the GNU General
Public License, with an exception supporting commercial applications,
so commercial applications can be produced with Harbour and
distributed.

Concepts like "multiple graphic terminals" or "replaceable database
driver" are difficult to explain in few sentences and can be even
misleading so I would remove them.

In general I think you could present Harbour as a language by itself
instead of a Clipper clone. The vast majority of developers don't know
what Clipper is so references to it are almost useless.

Then you could add some code examples trying to make the code as clean
as possible starting with:

function main()
   outstd( "Hello World" )
return

I would avoid:

- mention macro
- things like ? or QOut
- terms like procedure or routine
- show both begin sequence and try catch syntax
- using DO <x>
- show DO CASE

best regards,
Lorenzo