David,

Tropical band DXing is not something I am very familiar  with.  Having
lived in Northern California and Alaska, tropical band DX wasn't really
possible there.  SO... I try to learn as I go, but also combine what I do
know about DXing
But also radio broadcasting as a whole (as air talent/program director) to
make an educated guess...... sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm in the
right field and sometimes I'm wrong... but making an educated guess after
studying a little, is part of the fun as is learning

Paul