Our problem is that we have a firewall on our network where the Vista server is. The client side has a firewall also where CPRS is. CPRS requires a connection from the server to the client on a randomly generated port. To allow for that, we'd have to basically remove the entire client-side firewall. Sure, we can only ports 5,000 and up, but that's still a huge hole in the firewall.

We tried the VPN route, but that led to yet another issue. The server's network does have VPN, but it is highly restricted. There is a lot of paperwork involved in getting an account set up. Once done, we'd have another problem - the client's computer won't be able to use the client-side network anymore. That means that they'd have to have a CPRS computer on VPN and a regular computer off the VPN for everything else.

As for tunneling on SSH, that would be the #1 solution if CPRS ran well on Linux. We could tunnel into the Vista server on port 22 and display the X-CPRS on the client's machine. We could also upgrade CPRS easily by only upgrading it on the server and not going client to client. But, the major dawback is getting CPRS to run on Linux without paying out so much money that we'd be better of buying some other EMR system.

-Shaun

Joseph Dal Molin wrote:

What is the issue regarding your network security...it will be good to
know should others have a similar setup?

And dumb question...did you try setting up a VPN and tunneling...??

Joseph