I would be interested in looking at a text version of CPRS, but it is my understanding that CPRS does not allow you to add patients. So, I will still need to set up accounts in Vista for the clerks to SSH in and easily add patients as well as add visits for existing patients. With a text version of CPRS running through SSH, I can set that up as the default shell for physicians and nurses - understanding that in many of the smaller sites the nurse is also the clerk, so they will need to be able to quit CPRS and quickly get into Vista to add patients.
-Shaun

Kevin Toppenberg wrote:

There is a text version of the CPRS if you can connect
to your server via telnet or ssh.  Let me know if you
are interested.  Its probably not what people want
right now.

Kevin

--- CS Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Our problem is that we have a firewall on our
network where the Vista server is. The client side has a firewall also
where CPRS is. CPRS requires a connection from the server to the client
on a randomly generated port. To allow for that, we'd have to
basically remove the entire client-side firewall. Sure, we can only
ports 5,000 and up, but that's still a huge hole in the firewall.

We tried the VPN route, but that led to yet another
issue. The server's network does have VPN, but it is highly restricted. There is a lot of paperwork involved in getting an account set up. Once done, we'd have another problem - the client's computer won't be
able to use the client-side network anymore. That means that they'd
have to have a CPRS computer on VPN and a regular computer off the VPN
for everything else.

As for tunneling on SSH, that would be the #1
solution if CPRS ran well on Linux. We could tunnel into the Vista server on
port 22 and display the X-CPRS on the client's machine. We could also
upgrade CPRS easily by only upgrading it on the server and not going
client to client. But, the major dawback is getting CPRS to run on Linux
without paying out so much money that we'd be better of buying some other
EMR system.

-Shaun

Joseph Dal Molin wrote:

What is the issue regarding your network

security...it will be good to

know should others have a similar setup?

And dumb question...did you try setting up a VPN

and tunneling...??

Joseph