As an old Mumpster who did all of his programming in languages other than Mumps before the advent of OO and as a result has tried to understand OO without knowing anything about C++, Java, etc. I miss what is being said. I would like to know what you mean by "tight coupling and poor cohesion we see in the Vista code base".
Jim Gray

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregory Woodhouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] Data dictionary question...

My point of view is that OO can easily be done poorly (something that bothers me -- a lot), but it can b incredibly powerful when done right. Rather than being an "interesting aside", I see object orientation, or something like it, as critical to the long range success of Vista. The tight coupling and poor cohesion we see in the Vista code base is way, way out of hand, and trying to move Vista into new environments only makes the issue more acute. No, I don't think for a moment that using an object oriented language will somehow magically solve these problems, but I find it hard to envision a solution that doesn't at least use basic ideas of object orientation in a fundamental way.

In fact, I think it is part of the genius of Vista that it anticipated OO technology to a surprising extent, and I doubt it would have been as successful as it has been were that not the case.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Design quality doesn't ensure success, but design failure can ensure failure."

--Kent Beck