From: "Kevin Toppenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] more M read questions

Let's be practical.  There seem to be only  a few M environments.  Are
any of them using 6 bit bytes etc?  Do any of the underlying file
systems server other than an 8 bit byte when asked to read one unit
(byte) from a file?

Yes, there are widecharacter strings, but the underlying filesystem
still deals with them as 8-bit bytes, doesn't it?

Kevin

On 8/21/05, Chris Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ah, but how big is a character?  MUMPS deals in characters reguardless of
> the number of octets required to represent it.
>
>    1Octet  = 8 bits
>
>    Ascii - 1 octet/character
>    Unicode, Kanji,Katakana,etc - 2 octets/character
>    ISO-10646 - 4octets/character
>
> Then there were 36 bit words (6 (6-bit) characters per word (Univac
> FIELDDATA), or 10 6-bit characters/word, but each of these are mapping
> systems for characters.

QA
http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf