Most MUMPS implementations have no problem with binary data. It's old utilities
that are
oriented to text-only data that might have a problem with it. GT.M, for
instance is quite
capable of uploading and downloading binary data, such as images, just fine. It
can also
easily hand off that task to utilities available in the Linux environment. We
use this
capability many thousands of times a day in VMACS and M2Web.