I think this will serve as an excellent test for the local contingency plans
for catastrophic failrues. As an example, as the VA moves more and more
toward centralizing their databases, this sort of thing becomes more and more
of serious an issue.  This is one of the reasons that I am not in favor or
purely ASP solutions with no local backup or operational capability for even
small clinics.

Paper backup is, of course, always an option in a non-critical setting, but in
a hospital that has to continue critical care with need for access to
existing data, for pharmacy, etc., at least until transfer of that critical
data to paper, there needs to be a local, battery and generator backed up
system.

The flip side of this is what happens if the central data repository fails if
the local sites do not have backup operational capabilities?

We have been thinking in terms of terrorism a lot lately, not mother nature as
"terrorist", but it matters little what is causing the problem in the last
analysis.  Terrorists speak of causing the maximum economic disruption for
the US as a goal, and causing a catastrophic power or communications failure
is likely high on their list.  Local backup could at least temporarily deal
with this sort of problems until there is no fuel  to keep the generators
going.

Roy, you have lived through a minor version of this at Bay Pines so I know you
know much better than most of us what they are facing now and in the days to
come in the wake of Katrina.