--- Joseph Dal Molin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ....the concern is not just the one time fee from what I have
> heard....there is also a fee for using the certification label and
> the
> need to recertify down the road.....

A cursory look at the CCHIT web site doesn't tell me much about
certification costs. Charging one fee for certification and then
another to display a logo on a web site (or box) saying you are
certified sounds a little surprising, but periodic recrtification seems
like a natural requirement.

In any event, I have the luxury of looking at this all as an "academic"
issue. But it does seem to me health information systems are critical
systems, and yes, it does make me uneasy that lives may depend on
systems that have not been reviewed or certified in any way. I see the
goal of Hardhats and WorldVistA as being the development of systems
that are both affordable and of high quality. We need to take both
seriously.

That being said, I don't see certification (of any kind) as a panacea.
It reminds of current practice in software development today, where
products are basically handed off to another team for some level of
testing and review. Trying to achieve quality through a process like
this is well nigh impossible.

I don't know what the answers are.

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The Tao of VistA: If all you see is MUMPS,
you see nothing.