All I can say is that no one has specified where the money is going to
come from for all these fancy aspects of EMR's.  The price can not be
passed on to the patients or to the insurance companies.  And I, for
one, have no interest in paying $28,000 to "certify" that my EMR plays
well with others.  If it works for me, OK.  But spending even more for
interoperability seems to have diminishing returns.

Kevin

On 5/11/06, Greg Woodhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
--- Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why is CCHIT needed?  Yes we want a standard, but we have internet
> browsers that operate on open source standards that don't require
> fees!
>
> Kevin

There is a basic difference, though. If a web browser doesn't
understand HTTP, it won't be able to communicate with web servers and
no one will use it. An EHR, on the other hand, can fail to comply with
existing standards, but since it may well be used as a standalone
system, people may use without even knowing that it wasn't compliant
(that is, until a severe allergy is missed or some such thing).

I am NOT saying that the CCHIT model is the only workable one. Only
that there are factors contributing to the success of IETF standards
that don't directly apply to HIT.

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The Tao of VistA: If all you see is MUMPS,
you see nothing.