I am not thinking that I even need to copy the database. First, I intend
to practice writing programs. That I should be able to do directly from
GT.M, as a different user with a .bash profile that does not point to
the VistA globals. Then, I plan to write a simple routine to extract
data from my current practice management system and output it to a comma
delimited file which I will then import using Fileman, rather than
attempting to directly stuff the patient file in VistA.  That way,
Fileman can check the data for consistency and I don't risk damaging the
database. I know I can easily import data using Fileman, but my current
data set needs too much editing to be cleaned up  manually.

Mike