Mike,

Good.  At first, when I first read your message, I thought you were
having trouble getting ^XUP to work, and I was going to try to ensure
that you had your directories set up properly etc.  But I see that you
are wanting to avoid messing up your VistA.  So good, you have
achieved that.

But I'm not sure you really need to worry about it.  If you are
learning, you ought to have a practice system that won't matter if you
break it.  When I was installing, I planned 3 installations.   First
was just a trash around install.  Do what ever with it, no worries.
Second was an attempt to do it right, but expecting some mistakes.
The third install was my final gold install.

What you have now will allow you to lean M programming.  But if you
have any programming experience, I don't think it will take you long.
You will then want to move on to using the Fileman and Kernel API
calls, and that will require that you have access to the VistA
routines.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Kevin