http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gasprices/FAQ.shtml#High
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12418111.htm

Q. Why did oil prices rise so fast?

A. The price of crude oil jumped dramatically in recent weeks in part
because of heightened fears of shortages. Oil traders are particularly
nervous about forecasts of a busier than usual hurricane season.
Hurricanes disrupt deliveries by oil tankers and can halt production at
offshore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. They also threaten refineries on
the U.S. Gulf Coast. Other factors included temporary shutdowns at some
U.S. refineries and U.S. government warnings of possible terrorist
attacks in Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil producer.

Q. Aren't oil cartels to blame for the high prices?

A. Today's high prices are driven by demand, not supplier-imposed
shortages as in the 1970s and `80s. The Organization of Petroleum
Exporting Countries says its members are pumping oil at almost full
throttle and that developed nations should build more refineries.
Refineries are working at near capacity and can't keep pace.

-Gary