At 07:00 PM 1/7/2006, you wrote:
OK, but were you recording in .VCR (what it considers it's highest format)
or DVD-Compliant MPG2?

I was recording MPEG-2
Video 720X480 NTSC(525)
61.76 MB/Minute
Audio 48,000KHZ 16 Bit, Stereo

This works fine for me. I think you are making too big of a deal about this. I have been working with video back since I had a PCI Matrox G200 Marvel with a optional plug in DVD decoder with a 233MMX. I think anything above a PIII 1GB does a pretty good job with AGP All in Wonder cards, recording DVD on the fly.

If you want to re-encode stuff, or edit with special effects, then yeah, faster is better, but if you have a dedicated computer for the job, and you don't care if it takes all night to do the encoding, then a 1GB PIII will do the job.

I read that article, and one thing that is missing is any discussion about the signal source. I record mostly from my Cox Digital cable box into the S-Video in... and this alone makes a huge difference in picture quality from recording off the internal AIW tuner. The quality is so much better that I never record anything I want to keep off the AIW turner.

But if I thought the 550 had decent driver support, and supported multivew, and made significant real world difference in recording cable broadcasts, then I would buy it. But in my mind there is still a long way to go with these cards and high end video capture products in general.

The bottom line is that he is just trying to make a simple instructional video, not a high def movie. Even VCD quality would be Ok for that purpose.