At 10:30 PM 1/7/2006, Winterlight typed:
But in my mind there is still a long way to go with these cards and high end video capture products in general.

I guess you haven't looked at high end cards lately as my high def capture card [MyHD MDP-120] requires very little cpu usage since it does all the processing but it captures in streaming mpeg so one has to convert it to mpeg2 with a freeware app hdtvtompeg2.exe and the null packets should be stripped with another freeware app NullPacketStripper & these would take a while on a slow machine. The Fusion3 or 5 also take very little CPU while capturing but it's the post processing that takes up the CPU, memory, & time.

The bottom line is that he is just trying to make a simple instructional video, not a high def movie. Even VCD quality would be Ok for that purpose.

As you say tho if that's all the video they want to process both my X800 & my last 2 GeForce cards could capture video well enough via S-Video to do this. Nero Vision Express 3 or 4 would do a nice job with capturing, light editing & burning it to a disk.

   Wayne D. Johnson
Ashland, OH, USA 44805
<http://www.wavijo.com>