Sounds like your problem with Comcast might be location dependant.

One of my kids lives in southern NJ and has Comcast.
They set it up for her at no cost, including a free SB cable modem.
Throughput up and down is fantastic - at least as good as Optonline.com (i.e., Cablevision).
Anyway, after her service was up and running I just added a D-Link router for her without any problems.
I even asked the installer when he was at her house if there was any problem adding a router.
He said no, but suggested that Comcast's on-line support (monkeys) might ask for it to be removed if they were troubleshooting a problem.
The way he told it, it wasn't that Comcast had a problem with the router as much as it was that their support monkeys would use it as an excuse for any problems that were reported to them.

By the way, how would Comcast know which specific router you used?

Regards,
Mike