Yes it can always still be the modem even if on the approved list since that list is slow to update. DocSIS 1.0 is most likely not going to go faster than 3mb/sec anyway even if stable.

After the last round of Comcast network upgrades I was being told my SB4100 was not supported even though it's DocSIS 2.0 & on the website's list. Replacement modem for $60 is on the high side IMHO:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?satitle=motorola+sb5*

The Motorola SB5xxx is a good modem, pushing 8mb(1MB)/sec here happily for $53/mo. Combined with a WRT54GS v2 router & Sveasoft Talisman firmware, a winning setup so far.