If they can ping you, then they are none the wiser. Of course that's one of the 1st things firewalls block out-of-the-box & rightly so. Mine has been configured to allow traffic from their private IP range for ping, DHCP, etc...

I get a real kick out of them asking me to plug my box directly in & flat out refuse to do so since I know they can talk to the modem & that's all they truly need. On the same note I am quick to point out when I can talk to the modem diagnostic page but not the 'net. They have yet to convince me to plug in directly for any diagnostics.

If the modem checks out & the CPE still can't get out you need a tech onsite IMHO.

Mike Resnick wrote:
  Sounds like your problem with Comcast might be location dependant.

One of my kids lives in southern NJ and has Comcast. They set it up for her at no cost, including a free SB cable modem. Throughput up and down is fantastic - at least as good as Optonline.com (i.e., Cablevision). Anyway, after her service was up and running I just added a D-Link router for her without any problems. I even asked the installer when he was at her house if there was any problem adding a router. He said no, but suggested that Comcast's on-line support (monkeys) might ask for it to be removed if they were troubleshooting a problem. The way he told it, it wasn't that Comcast had a problem with the router as much as it was that their support monkeys would use it as an excuse for any problems that were reported to them.