No, i think the reason is much more sinister than that, Thane. MS just wants to control the "mind space" of people for another five years. They can't do that with just a simple update to XP. They need something that looks and feels different, so that people can have something to spend time and energy tweaking and talking about (loving and/or hating). All of the mags and websites will starting writing about it, Vista will sell more hardware (hell, systems are now back up to $5000+ after being dirt cheap for sometime), and the industry will move. Motion is more important than the direction, in terms of staying alive. This is what the entire industry wants from MS as its leader. Hence, MS is delivering. We can either follow or jump ship. :)