Thane,
My share of specs follow your msg.... Hope this helps...... :)
Best,
Duncan

At 09:13 05/09/2007 -0400, Thane wrote:

I'm getting a lot of machines in where SVCHost has gone insane and is sucking up a lot of RAM and CPU time. There are some suggested fixes for it (mostly reinstalling/registering Microsoft Updates) but I'm interested in finding out what the "normal" CPU time and Peak Mem Usage are for svchost.exe. If people would take the time to reply with the information listed below for as many machines as they can, that would be great.

To get the information, bring up Task Manager, click on View and Choose Select Columns. Check off CPU time and Peak Mem Usage. Then sort by CPU time. I'd like to get the information for System Idle Process (CPU Time) and the svchost with the highest CPU time (both CPU time, Mem Usage and Peak Mem Usage.) On my laptop, which doesn't appear to be affected, it looks like this:

System Idle Process - CPU time: 34:01:05
svchost.exe - CPU Time: 00:05:36, Mem Usage (6320K) Peak Mem Usage (7584K)

I'll will share all findings with the list.

snip

13:10 05/09/2007

System: OFC (W2Ksp4)
process: System Idle Process
PID: 0
CPU: 99
CPU Time: 44:58:25 (incr up)
Mem Usage: 16K
Peak Mem Usage: 16K

System: OFC (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 492
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 9176K
Peak Mem Usage: 9352K

System: OFC (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 424
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 5132K
Peak Mem Usage: 5252K

System: OFC (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 692
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 7964K
Peak Mem Usage: 35624K

System: LIB (W2Ksp4)
process: System Idle Process
PID: 0
CPU: 99
CPU Time: 45:44:45 (incr up)
Mem Usage: 16K
Peak Mem Usage: 16K

System: LIB (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 496
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 9152K
Peak Mem Usage: 9464K

System: LIB (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 804
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 7944K
Peak Mem Usage: 22264K

System: LIB (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 412
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 4720K
Peak Mem Usage: 4752K

System: SRV (W2KServer w/sp4)
process: System Idle Process
PID: 0
CPU: 99
CPU Time: 91:20:25 (incr up)
Mem Usage: 16K
Peak Mem Usage: 16K

System: SRV (W2KServer w/sp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 532
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 8308K
Peak Mem Usage: 8384K

System: SRV (W2KServer w/sp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 884
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 7588K
Peak Mem Usage: 21624K

System: SRV (W2KServer w/sp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 432
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 4468K
Peak Mem Usage: 4616K

System: SRV (W2KServer w/sp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 1484
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 4424K
Peak Mem Usage: 4464K

System: GAM (W2Ksp4)
process: System Idle Process
PID: 0
CPU: 99
CPU Time: 55:01:50 (incr up)
Mem Usage: 16K
Peak Mem Usage: 16K

System: GAM (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 776
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 7896K
Peak Mem Usage: 35504K

System: GAM (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 404
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 9376K
Peak Mem Usage: 9560K

System: GAM (W2Ksp4)
process: svchost.exe
PID: 368
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 4652K
Peak Mem Usage: 4656K

System: TRXP (XP)
process: System Idle Process
UName: System
PID: 0
CPU: 99
CPU Time: 19:07:10 (incr up)
Mem Usage: 16K
Peak Mem Usage: 0K

System: TRXP (XP)
process: svchost.exe
UName: Local Service
PID: 1148
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 4572K
Peak Mem Usage: 4580K

System: TRXP (XP)
process: svchost.exe
UName: Network Service
PID: 1072
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 3300K
Peak Mem Usage: 3356K

System: TRXP (XP)
process: svchost.exe
UName: System
PID: 1032
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:25
Mem Usage:
Peak Mem Usage:

System: TRXP (XP)
process: svchost.exe
UName: Network Service
PID: 936
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 4184K
Peak Mem Usage: 4216K

System: TRXP (XP)
process: svchost.exe
UName: System
PID: 840
CPU: 00
CPU Time: 0:00:00
Mem Usage: 4384K
Peak Mem Usage: 4384K

--specs end--

This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net